It is the mission of Valdosta City Schools Student Services to provide educational services so all students have the opportunities to learn and reach their fullest intellectual, personal, and social potential. The Student Services staff works closely with school personnel, parents, and the community to maximize the academic, social, and emotional potential of all student learners. This is done through the practices of student health, guidance and counseling, social work, and other alternative educational services.
Students enrolled in Valdosta City Schools may be excused from school attendance for one of the following reasons.
1. personally ill and attendance in school would endanger their health or the health of others;
2. in their immediate family, there is a serious illness or death which would reasonably necessitate absence from school;
3. observing special and recognized religious holidays of their faith;
4. mandated by order of governmental agencies (examples: pre-induction physical examination for service in the armed forces or a court order);
5. conditions render attendance impossible or hazardous to student health or safety;
6. to visit with a military parent or guardian who has been called to duty for or is on leave from overseas deployment to a combat zone or combat support posting.
Notes must be written by the parent, guardian, or physician for an absence to be excused.
Notes must be turned in within three days of returning to school.
Notes must be signed by a parent, guardian, or physician.
Notes must explain the reason for the absence.